Sunday, June 1, 2008

Home Ownership: Don't Believe the Hype

Can I say, for the record, how much it sucks to be a homeowner today? For me?

Yesterday I told my husband something is wrong with our air conditioner and he immediately said something intelligent and educated. I believe it was, "Nuh-uh." (A moment here to note how irritating I find it to be when I am RIGHT about something and my husband immediately dismisses me. And no, I do not want to discuss the time I swore someone had stolen my car, only to remember it was on the other side of the mall. That could happen to anyone.)

I digress...

So I immediately countered with significant evidence that indeed, there was a problem with our air conditioner. First, the thermostat was programmed for 74 and the temperature was reading 83 inside the house. Now, while I have no aversion to a warm house, when I want something done my way, well...that's what I want. Second, the air conditioner had been running the entire day for several days.

Offering scientific evidence as I had, I assume case closed. But oh no...my husband then wanted to know how I could presume to say the AC ran all day when I had not in fact been home the entire day. I replied he hadn't been home the entire day so he couldn't prove I was wrong. He went outside then to drink a beer, smoke a cigarette and bang his head against his car. I hope it hurt.

Since he gave up so easily, I called my friend who works for a local AC company and asked/begged/bribed him to come over and look at the stupid, traitorous AC. He did, and guess what? I was RIGHT!!!

It will cost me $2,000 to be right. So, today, for me, it sucks to be a homeowner. And to be right, now that I think about it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

.